In 2007, Dr. Ken Haycock generously donated to the former Canadian Library Association (CLA) to establish an award for promoting librarianship. With the dissolution of CLA in 2016, OLA accepted a transfer of the funds to continue presenting the award. The Canadian Urban Libraries Council (CULC/CBUC) will be leading the Nominations process on behalf of the Award and OLA.
Submit a letter explaining how the nominee meets the criteria below. Please provide specific examples. Your letter must include:
- The nominators name and contact information
- The nominee’s name and contact information
Submit nominations to: email@example.com with the subject line containing the nomination title and the nominee’s name.
Nominations are due November 1st by 12:00 pm EST.
- Exceptional practice as a librarian;
- Teaching the profession in formal and informal settings: or
- The award recognizes exceptional achievement outside of the usual awareness activity a professional is expected to do.
- Nominees may be from any Canadian province or territory.
A Nominations Committee representing different types of libraries will be formed each year. The committee will make a recommendation to the OLA Board of Directors for ratification. Where nominated candidates do not achieve the level of success deemed necessary by the Nominations Committee, the Award will not be presented.
The Award includes a cash prize of $1,000, in addition to a plaque recognizing the recipient’s achievement.
- 2018 Sandra Singh, Vancouver Public Library
- 2017 Jeff Barber, Regina Public Library
- 2016 Not awarded
- 2015 Leslie Weir, University of Ottawa
- 2014 Not awarded
- 2013 Ernie Ingles, University of Alberta
- 2012 Pilar Martinez, Edmonton Public Library
- 2011 Wendy Newman, University of Toronto
- 2010 Allan Wilson, Prince George Public Library
- 2009 Karen Lindsay, Reynolds Secondary School, Victoria BC
- 2008 The Alberta Library