Safety & Security Working Group – Terms of Reference
Purpose: Public libraries across Canada are facing an unprecedented increase in the frequency and intensity of security and safety incidents in their spaces. The purpose of the CULC/CBUC Safety and Security Working Group is to:
- Promote learning, support and collaboration around safety and security in public libraries.
- Develop a toolkit consisting of best practices regarding safety and security including: training and employee supports, social workers, customer conduct expectations, collaborative initiatives with other agencies, etc.
- Create an advocacy and communication strategy to
- raise awareness of the complex societal issues that public libraries are facing
- reinforce the core mandate of public libraries and acknowledge our role as part of the solution
- identify the importance of multi-level governmental and organizational solutions
Deliverables: The following are the Working Group deliverables.
- Completion of a toolkit that is shared with and utilized by CULC/CBUC and other public libraries.
- Preparation of communication and advocacy strategies.
- Presenting findings/recommendations of the working group at the October CULC/CBUC Member Meeting.
- Provide an update at the Spring CULC/CBUC Member Meeting.
Evaluation: The following will be used to evaluate the success of this working group.
- Feedback indicates that the toolkit is helpful and useful.
- Collaboration demonstrated through sharing best practices within the working group.
- Communication and advocacy strategies are used by CULC/CBUC libraries to leverage their provincial and municipal government and local organizations to raise awareness and be included at related discussions.
- CULC/CBUC is included at federal government tables addressing these societal issues.
Type: Ad hoc – January to August 2023
- Pilar Martinez, Edmonton Public Library, Chair of Safety and Security Working Group, and Advocacy Sub-group
- Heather Robertson, Calgary Public Library – Chair of Toolkit Sub-group
- Brad Bird, Saskatoon Public Library
- Karin Borland, Winnipeg Public Library
- Carol Cooley, Saskatoon Public Library (CULC/CBUC Exec Sponsor)
- Moe Hosseini-Ara, Toronto Public Library
- Elizabeth Malak, Toronto Public Library
- Jennifer Marriott, CULC/CBUC
- Judy Moore, Thompson-Nicola Regional Library (CULC/CBUC Exec Sponsor)
- Nora Ott, Marigold Library System
- Paul Takala, Hamilton Public Library
- Vicky Varga, Edmonton Public Library
Meetings: Meetings are held at least monthly
Reporting: CULC/CBUC Executive
Date: January 27, 2023
- Attend meetings and actively participate
- Members will share resources
- Read and prepare for meetings
- Follow through on actions
- Maintain and respect confidentiality
- Respectful communication and virtual etiquette
- Create space for all ideas to be shared and explored
- Approach this topic with optimism and hope